Storms can be a major threat to homes, causing damage to roofs, windows, and other parts of the building. It is important to protect your house from storms and heavy rains. You must take the necessary precautions and help from a professional Flood Damage Restoration Frankston company. There are many tips that can help in storm-proofing a home. Read on to know in detail about the best tips for storm-proofing a home.
Ways For Storm-Proofing A home
To protect your home from the ravages of a storm, there are several steps you can take to stormproof it.
- Invest in a good roof: The roof is the first line of defence against storms. Make sure your roof is in good condition and can withstand high winds and heavy rain. Consider installing a metal or tile roof, which is more durable than traditional asphalt shingles.
- Secure your windows and doors: Install storm shutters or hurricane-resistant windows to protect your home from flying debris. Make sure all doors are securely fastened and have a strong frame.
- Trim trees and bushes: Overgrown trees and bushes can easily fall and cause damage to your home during a storm. Keep them trimmed to reduce the risk of damage.
- Have a generator on hand: In the event of a power outage, a generator can provide you with electricity to keep your home running.
- Create a disaster kit: Have a disaster kit ready with essentials such as non-perishable food, water, flashlights, and a first-aid kit.
- Have a plan: Make sure your family knows what to do in case of a storm. Have a designated safe room, and make sure everyone knows how to use a fire extinguisher.
By taking these steps, you can help protect your home and your family during a storm. Remember to always stay informed about weather conditions and be prepared for the worst.
Damages Caused To Home Due To Storm
During a storm, strong winds and heavy rainfall can cause significant damage to a house. Some common types of damage include:
- Roof damage: Strong winds can rip shingles off a roof, leaving the underlying decking exposed to water damage. If the winds are strong enough, they can even tear off entire sections of a roof.
- Water damage: Heavy rainfall can seep into a house through damaged roofs, windows, or doors, causing water damage to walls, ceilings, and floors. Flooding can also occur if nearby waterways overflow.
- Tree damage: Falling trees or tree limbs can cause damage to the roof, walls, and windows of a house, as well as damage to cars and other outdoor property.
- Power outages: Storms can knock out power to a house, leaving residents without electricity.
- Other damages: Storms can also cause damage to gutters, skylights, chimneys, and other parts of a house, as well as to outdoor structures such as sheds, decks, and fences.
It is important to note that storms can also cause non-structural damage such as loss of personal belongings, electrical appliances and personal vehicles.
How can professionals help in making your home storm-proof
There are several steps that professionals can take to help make a home more resistant to storm damage:
Inspect the roof: A professional roofing contractor can inspect the roof for any existing damage and make repairs to ensure that it is in good condition. They can also install new roofing materials that are better able to withstand high winds and heavy rainfall.
Install impact-resistant windows and doors: Professionals can install windows and doors that are rated to withstand high winds and flying debris, which can help to protect the interior of the house from water damage and other types of damage.
Reinforce the walls: Engineers can inspect the walls of the house and determine if they are strong enough to withstand strong winds. If not, they can recommend ways to reinforce the walls, such as adding bracing or installing steel shutters.
Install storm shutters: Professionals can install storm shutters that can protect windows and doors from flying debris during a storm. They can also be made of durable materials like aluminium, steel or polycarbonate which can provide extra protection.
Trim trees and bushes: Arborists can inspect the trees and bushes around the house and remove any that are dead or diseased, which can make them more likely to fall during a storm. They can also trim branches that hang over the house to reduce the risk of damage.
Install a generator: Electricians can install a generator that can provide power to the house in case of a power outage.
Check the drainage: Civil engineers can check the drainage systems around the house to make sure that they are functioning properly and that water is flowing away from the house. If necessary, they can recommend ways to improve the drainage.
It is important to note that it is always best to consult with the professionals and make sure that they are licensed and insured before hiring them. It’s also important to understand the cost and the process involved before hiring them.
Get Professional Help
In case you want to get your house stormproof, hire a professional Flooded Floor Clean-Up Frankston now. If you are looking to hire professionals in Frankston, you can go with Flood Damage Restoration Frankston. We are the most trusted storm-proofing company. With years of experience and the best tools, we can help in preparing your home before a stormy season. You can also follow the suitable Tips For Storm Proofing A Home to make your homie stormproof.